Saturday, September 3, 2011

The beginning and the choices

I remember that my interest to business started with CNBC. I was in high school back then. One day after school, after throwing my bag to the corner of the room, I opened the TV and started zapping. Then I stopped at CNBC (It was number 9 on our remote) in an effort to understand what were those symbols and numbers passing from the bottom bar. The speaker was talking about the current news and their effects on the stock market and the country. First time really listening to what they're saying, I was really impressed with the correlation among things and with the fact that it is completely understandable. Before that, I had the idea that they are all functions and assumptions with vague conclusions.

Studying business management after high school was present in my choices, however, the lack of supervision and career support for high school students caused me to follow the trend of being an engineer. There was such a primitive idea on people's minds that if you are among the most successful, you should choose engineering. We were brainwashed with this point of view. Even some of the teachers were scaring us by giving examples from people who chose other professions and now hardly paying their rents. Since my parents are both opera singers, they only had superficial knowledge about business world and different professions, so no help from this side of the story as well. 

Almost 10 years from that moment, now, I feel the change coming. I'm fixed to the target and I feel enthusiastic about the journey of change and the rest of my life. Despite the fact that I still have lots of questions on my mind, after more than 1 year of research about business schools and programs, I narrowed down my options to 6. My almost final choices are as follows (no specific order):

- INSEAD
- IMD
- SDA Bocconi
- Duke Fuqua
- UNC Kenan-Flagler
- Cornell Johnson

The criteria I used to choose the programs were several; including rankings, faculty, location, careers, curriculum, financial aid (loans especially), alumni/current student comments and admission criteria.



No comments:

Post a Comment